Knitting with the Monsters...

My life with two toddlers and two cats, all of whom are out to drive me nuts and destroy my knitting!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Pictures!

Well, I will try to post some pictures, as promised. Here are the goodies from Stash...

Everything which includes two balls of the blue sky cotton, the other is behind the tags, one ball of sock wool, Interweave Knits Spring edition, vogue knitting's stitchonary, and knitting on the edge by Nicky Epstien (and some nice simple white rubber stitch markers)

And a close up of the Lorna's Laces Shepard sock wool in desert flower along with the Blue Sky Cotton in a very pretty aqua:) yummy...

And onto today's acheivement...

tada!!!!!!!

Maddie's Ballet wrap in RYC cash cotton color framboise. Pattern from classic bambino from RYC!!!

I am sooo proud - two sweaters FINISHED for my Maddie in one year. I really am getting faster;)

So, onto the content part of this post. I've made a real breakthrough the last few months, having gotten to know the knitting world through blogging. Before, I used to just limp along, figure things out in my own sort of bumbling way, and I saw knitting as my private creative outlet. Then I started reading my friend Anne's blog (hello if you're reading!). And a whole new world opened up to me. All of a sudden I realised there were loads of people like me, with compulsions to buy wool and dream of all the things to make whilst not finishing most of them. I love reading everyone's thoughts as much as I like writing my own, and I get spurred on by seeing all the stuff other people make. It makes me want to knit more!

Now a few months later I almost feel like an 'official' knitter. I have proper tools, markers that work, needles I really love, and know people I can talk to that don't dismiss what I'm doing as wasting time. It's made me so happy especially with two small children to find a real outlet that is constructive as well as creative. For a former art student, it's important. Now I can dream of a studio where I've got a knitting/sewing/quilting area, darkroom, and pottery area. And even bigger is my dream to run some sort of business either selling my pots or selling yarns that I love. Someday.

So back to Earth, today's other achievement aside from Maddie's wonderful sweater is socks. Ling showed me her sock yesterday at Stash, and to my amazement, it was small. Toddler sized (which is why in the photo the person wearing the sock has cute chubby ankles - he's 3). And I thought (after I smacked my forehead and said duh!) how smart! Since I finished the sweater today, I sat there looking round thinking, do I start my twist-T with the posh yarn or socks in desert flower? I spent the morning in the cool darkness of my bedroom with Jamie sleeping beside me and getting over a minor migraine and wound up the half of a skein I'd tangled up. So that is waiting for me. But so is desert flower. Socks on two circulars. Calls me. (because I HATE dpns)

Spurred on by Roo and Ling's socks in the flesh, I boldy cast on my 48 stitches on three metal 2.75 dpns. I couldn't find the two 2.5 circulars I'd bought. But I had to cast on. Then as I was struggling with the f$*@))g metal needles I spotted one of the 2.5 circulars. I put the socks on the one and agressively searched the area and came up with the other. After some fiddling, whe...heeeeey! I have done it. Figured out how to knit with two circulars instead of fiddly dpns. Now all I have to do is make a sock. Hmm. all I've done up til now is ribbing on my other sad effort (which is still lying round forlornly unmade).

Stay tuned for piccies - I vow I will will will figure it out!
Night:)

3 Comments:

At 8:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! For so many things!

Firstly - I love love love Maddie's ballet wrap - it's gorgeous.

and Secondly - I'm so pleased you've got into this blogging thing - I've found it so inspiring to read what other people are making (although I sometimes think I'd be somewhat more productive if I read less and knitted more...) and it's a wonderful way to meet people when it's not so easy to get out and about.

and Thirdly - I'm soooo jealous that you've got Knitting on the Edge - it's been on my wish list forever.

and Fourthly - socks! Beware though - they are addictive!

 
At 9:12 PM , Blogger Alice said...

I love that Desert Flower. Aren't the colours gorgeous? I originally chose that colourway for my first Ella, then changed my mind and cancelled, reordering the Irving Park instead. I love the pink/orange/purple of the Irving Park but now I need some Desert Flower!

The Ballerina top is really lovely - so perfect and so small as well. I must knit a pullover for Charles but the colours for boys just don't shout out to me.

I love blogging too - it's really opened up my stay-at-home world!

 
At 11:19 PM , Blogger Ling said...

Hey. Good job on the ballet wrap sweater, it's gorgeous.

My "so-called" pattern for toddler socks are as follows:
Cast on 48 stitches and work 2x2 ribbing for 10 rows.
Knit 24 rows for the leg
Hmm... where are my notes?! I'm going to have to get back to you. Stay tuned.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home